Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Les Misérables at Tuacahn

I saw my fourth or fifth version of Les Misérables last night, at the incomparable Tuacahn Amphitheater. It's been my very favorite musical since I first heard the story in high school English and then was introduced to the music. Back then I was captivated by the love triangle, more specifically by Éponine's unrequited affection for Marius.

Now that I'm a bit more mature, I was much more interested in the parental aspects of this rich story: first, Fantine's desperate devotion to her daughter, and then Jean Valjean's journey from a criminal innocent of moral offense to an upstanding man who embodies the spirit of service and love for others. Of course, I was still moved by the love triangle, but my perspective has certainly changed.

The main benefits of seeing this masterpiece of musical theatre at the unique Tuacahn setting are:

  • The opening scene of prisoners, scattered on the hillside, actually breaking up rocks with sledgehammers;

  • When Cosette is sent into the woods, she is actually outdoors on one of the red rock side sets;

  • "Stars" is sung under an expanse of real stars;

  • Nothing can top "One Day More" with a crescendo of fireworks;

  • Javert actually jumps from a tall bridge;

  • The barricade is gi-normous;

  • Tons of horse-drawn carriages;

  • During the barricade battle, the opposing army is positioned in the rocks behind the barricade, shooting at the rebels while they fire back.
The best part, other than my new appreciation for the more mature themes of redemption and parental love and protection, was the performance by Timothy Warmen:
This is the Broadway actor who portrayed the best Jean Valjean I've seen. Not only was his voice strong and amazing, but he played the character with a level of emotion and passion I've never seen before. After the show, I was able to talk to him and tell him that I thought his performance was outstanding; he was very nice, and said that he'd never seen the show before and that he was glad he'd done well. This man is profoundly talented.

Of course, most of the cast is amazingly talented. There are few exceptions, as there should be when putting together a show with such high expectations. I think many theatre-goers have already seen some version of Les Miz, and the competition is tough. To be in this show, you must be able to carry a pretty demanding tune.

We saw the first preview night, and there were some things that clearly need to be addressed, but what matters is not who tripped over what set piece or who got pinned under a stray piece of the barricade when they tried to move it from the stage...What truly matters is the story. This is a phenomenal story. It is rich and complex and deeply moving. The acting and singing were great, but these characters and their struggles and triumphs are the most important, and they come together beautifully.

Les Misérables runs at Tuacahn from now through October, and if anyone reading this wants to attend but needs to go with someone, let me know. I'd be delighted to see this again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, As you know, I saw it again Saturday night, with Mindy Smoot Robbins covering the part of Eponine. She is awesome. My mom came from out of town specifically to see Mindy, and we were not disappointed. She has such a powerful presence on stage. I wish she had been cast in the part originally, but I suspect there may be an issue of vocal overwork, as she is the lead in The Sound of Music.

The show was even better than the preview, of course, because they've now been doing it for a month. Much tighter and cleaner, but still vocally AMAZING!!! Talk about people who can SING!!! Fortunately, they seem to have slowed the tempo of "Stars", which is good because at the preview it was way too fast. At this tempo, we get to savor both the powerful song and the masterfully beautiful voice of Harold Barnard II as Javert. Listening to him, I decided I could spend every minute of the rest of my life in that seat listening to him sing and it would be time richly spent. I have never experienced that feeling before.

I notice in his bio that he has a CD out; I'll have to check it out. What a voice!!!

I am happy to report that the costume folks have narrowed Cosette's hoops, making them less cumbersome and more historically accurate.

Timothy Warmen's performance was, once again, powerful and passionate and moving. So beautiful. I would love to know what it is that drives him in this role, what his own life experience has been for him to so completely inhabit the role of Jean Valjean. His performance is so powerful. I would love to know more about his own experience with the main themes of the show, specifically redemption and self-sacrifice.

So, here it is: I officically have a "thing" for Timothy Warmen. You have your Edward Cullen thing. I have my own "Edward"; it's Timothy Warmen. Thanks for posting his picture. Nice touch.

I will see this show again this season. I would go again and again and again. No one should miss this show!

Pleasantly dreaming of TW, =)
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Hello, I would just like to say a few things about the show that I thought. I too saw Mindy, for important reasons of she is my voice coach. The reason she wasn't cast as Eponine was because of the exact resemblance between young and old eponine. They look exactly the same. She chose to play those days out of her choice on her contract. O, and the Javert soundtrack is good, but just something that might be a little different than you are expecting. He is traditionally a country singer, so that is what you would be getting. I know the whole cast personally so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Artist Anika said...

I just have to say that I saw the show last night and was equally impressed with the actor who played Jaun Veljaun. He truly looked like someone who could have lived the life of the character. He was amazing.