Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Anthem" Review

Book 22 of 20 for the Dystopian Challenge

My first foray into Ayn Rand.  I don't think it will be my last.

This book was so short that I have the feeling my post about it will be too.  I loved the strong voice of the character, the (largely) believable world, and the yearning of the main character to find something else, something better, something unnamed.

Many of the successes were a little too easy.  Very convenient to have such timely discoveries, and a giant, protective forest where no one dares to hunt down the fugitives.  The concept of developing a sense of self out of a collective is very appealing, and that this book had ultimately a positive motivation, to illustrate the goodness in people, is so rare in this genre.  There is no doubt that this is dystopian literature, but the ending was so happy (even if I question whether it was earned) that I kept doubting myself about including it on this list.

I'm not converted to Objectivism...but we'll see.  There is so much more to read...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wonderful :)
can't wait to discuss fountainhead

also, i looked for franny and zoey last time i was at the lib... can't remember why it didn't work out, but i'll keep trying.