Friday, August 20, 2010

"Sea of Glass" Review

Book 23 of 20 for the Dystopian Challenge

There is not a single person I know to whom I would recommend this book.

Not that it wasn't well written, even thought-provoking.

But it was so ugly.

Imagine all the things you really dislike about the world, all the awful things people can do to each other...Never mind, don't imagine it.  No one wants to dwell on these things.  That's kind of my point.  This book illustrates many of those things in unwanted, unwelcome detail.  Brutality to children.  Assaults and abuse.  It's worse than harrowing.

The book addresses the question of where violence originates, and how a man can become a killer, what sorts of experiences he must have to shape him into a particular person.  There is also a great deal about whether or not trying to prevent a particular future shapes the present and points us towards what we were trying to avoid.

By the end, though (or, maybe more accurately, near the middle), I frankly didn't care.  I had no sympathy for the main character, nor any desire to save the dystopian world he lives in.  Let it burn.  It's a terrible, wicked place.

Let it burn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't understand the Dy.Chall.......I couldn't even get thru Chicago/devil.....
these books are so unpleasant, tediously unpleasant...!!!
srsly.
girls so beautiful! kbe

jenn said...

It's not for everyone...Most of the time I'm fascinated by what people do, how they respond to difficulty. What do people work towards? What do they hope for? Why don't they give up, especially when everything is bleak? To me this is the appeal of dystopian fiction.

But I have to sympathize with someone; without that foothold it's just all pointless misery. Like this one.