Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The peanut butter cup incident

Halloween weekend and I took the kids to Target for a quick errand.  This being Halloween, they each had a piece of candy they wanted to bring along.  Sure, why not?  So Eliz took a Jolly Rancher and Angela brought along a peanut butter cup.

As soon as I parked the car in the parking lot, I heard Angela's little voice: "Um...Mom?  Will you have the rest?"

"Sure, honey.  Hang on a second."

"Um...I need help."

I turned around, and this is what I saw:





She had not eaten a single bite of her full-size peanut butter cup, but had let the whole thing melt in her hands. Now that we were at the store, she didn't know what to do with it.

I couldn't stop laughing.  I took these pictures first.  Then I said, "Let's hurry to the bathroom first."

She said, "Um..."

Oh, right.  She couldn't touch the door.  I let her out and we hurried into the bathroom.

Once inside, I took the peanut butter part from her and starting wiping off her hands with paper towels. "It's not coming off," I said.  "Here, wash your hands.  With soap."

In the meantime, I realized that we were filling up the garbage can with brown-streaked paper towels, and getting some strange and uncomfortable looks from the people passing by us in the restroom.  I covered up the chocolately paper towels lest others mistake them for something much more unpleasant.

I was still laughing.