Friday, August 15, 2008

Rainbows


This morning, on the way to kindergarten, the girls were playing some kind of a game. Horses and fairies and lots of roses were involved, and I wasn't paying too much attention, until I heard Elizabeth say:

"...rainbows are wet."

I was startled; I know she hasn't ever touched a rainbow.

I asked her, "How do you know that rainbows are wet??"

Her response, which she gave in that "rainbows-don't-talk-aunt-Josie"* sort of tone:

"Because rainbows are made from sun and water."

I don't know where she learned this, probably from her dad. I was so surprised by her quick answer and the way she absorbed and simply spoke this small bit of information. I have since tried to remember when I learned that about rainbows, but in this stage of motherhood my memory is completely shot -- I know for certain, though, that I was much older than five years.


*This refers to an incident from about two years ago. While driving to Snow Canyon with Aunt Josie and the kids, we noticed a rainbow out in the cliffs. Josie waved and said, "Hi, rainbow!" and Elizabeth replied, with a hint of indignation, "Rainbows don't talk, Aunt Josie."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think these girls are born sponges. They retain everything they learn!! What a joy!! And, I love the way they correct the adults... hehe