Saturday, August 1, 2009

Holland Elise Johnson is here!

Yesterday morning, baby Holland was born.

The bare facts:
  • 21 inches long
  • 9 lbs 15.4 ounces
  • Lots of dark hair
  • Born on Friday 7/31/09 at 4:15 am
I was deeply honored to assist Than and Susie throughout labor and to be present when Holland was born. What I witnessed was profound. Susie is amazing, so tough and so kind. I have never seen a woman so concerned with and loving towards her spouse while she was in labor, never seen a husband so willing to give love and encouragement to his laboring wife. I am in awe of the two of them. And they are already amazing parents. What a lucky baby!

What I want them to know:
  • They can call me anytime, day or night, if they need assistance of any kind, after family departs.
  • I am anxious and very willing to help, because I know it can be tough at times. Sleep deprivation is the most difficult part of early parenting. I hope they take advantage of the countless naps I'm offering them.
  • They can knock on the door if they don't want to call.
  • I am more available now than ever before, with two kids starting school.
  • They can also tap on our adjoining wall, if they don't want to leave their place or find a phone.
I am grateful they invited me to witness Holland's birth. I've attended nearly 30 births now, and I've never felt so moved by an experience. This little girl has taken root in my heart; I'm excited to watch her grow.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

And if they or you also need any assistance while you assist them, you can tap on my wall too. :) I'm reminded of a song... "Knock three times...." But I'm excited for Susie and Than, I want to know all the details!

SusieQ said...

WE felt honored to have you there. I don't know how we would have gotten through it all without you. We will love you forever and EVER. (Before this it was just forever)

Mellissa said...

I wish I had a sister-in-law like you living next door to me after I had my first! You are very sweet. How exciting for Susie and Than. There is nothing more wonderful than a newborn baby. I can't wait to see little Holland, I bet she is just adorable.