Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I (finally) did it!

I hiked the Narrows!


Robert took some time off to enjoy his birthday week, so we decided to hike together. Neither of us had hiked the Narrows in the 4+ years we've lived here. We found a babysitter, put on our water shoes and grabbed some trekking poles, and took off.

I've long been intimidated by this hike and thought that the first few steps into the river would be difficult. It wasn't. This was the most fun I think I've ever had on a hike. Walking through the water was hard work ~ you have to watch every step, stay away from the green rocks, and there are times you rely on your walking stick for balance. I'm happy to say that I didn't fall into the water at all, though early on we came to a deep spot and I was in water up to my waist.


The hike was very crowded at first. Lots of people brought their expensive cameras (I didn't bring mine ~ none of the photos here are mine ~ I didn't dare bring anything I didn't want to either get soaked or lost downstream). Several more didn't even carry hiking poles, which is not very bright on this hike. It's slippery. The current moves very fast in places. You WILL fall without some support. Granted, that's not the end of the world, but it must be unpleasant, and of course not good for all that costly equipment.

It's strange to hike in the river. The water was cold, so my feet were nearly numb, and the sun overhead was hot, so my head and torso were quite warm. It doesn't quite balance out.

We stopped in this spot to rest (note: don't eat lunch here):


Both of us had blisters (mine showed up before we were even in the water, but I toughed it out, and I'm so glad I did!) and though I was exhilarated enough to go on, I was starting to worry about how much time we had already spent in the water. It was hot, our feet were weary (hiking through water is difficult work) and we were low on water. We turned back. It was a good decision.

This morning, I checked out a map of the Narrows, and I was pleased to see that we'd ventured a lot farther than I thought!

It's hard to tell when you're in the middle of the hike (little sense of time passing/length traveled), but we got at least to this point:


The crowds had thinned out considerably, and we were mostly alone for the last part of the hike.

There is much more to see in the Narrows. I can hardly wait to do it again, to hike farther in.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

also on my someday list! beautiful!

jennifer b clark said...

i've never thought to do this hike. it looks like something i'll need to plan to do soon. fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful!! I am glad you got to experience it. Sound like a lot of work, but with good payback.
Love you
MOM

Missy said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad you got to do that together! Happy belated birthday Robert!