Friday, February 19, 2010

"The Dark is Rising" Review (sort of)

You'll have to forgive me for this post. I'm a bit of a wreck.

I just finished reading The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper. There are five books in the series.

I was nearly done, only eight pages left, when I absolutely could not postpone picking up my daughter at school any longer. So I fetched her and we headed for the library. I finished the last eight pages in the library. I passed by a shelf, saw the books there, and picked up the final installment, and read through the last few pages.

It was not the right place for it. I need more time and space to mourn the end of this series. I wonder what the people who walked by thought of the woman standing in the "C" section, crying over the end of a book.

I fell hard for it, from the beginning.

The first book, "Over Sea, Under Stone," was alright, really. It was a fun, rather light read. And then the second came along, "The Dark is Rising," so different, so much stronger and more fascinating, and I was enthralled. It might be my favorite, either that one or the fourth, "The Grey King." I loved spending time with these characters. I loved reading about the battle between the Dark and the Light, the mysterious wisdom of the Old Ones, the shifting through time and the gorgeous, ethereal landscapes, and the rampant Welsh.

I can't say enough good about it. I loved these books.

And I found this:


A gorgeous, hardbound, autographed set of the books, for $69. Then I looked closer and saw that that's five payments of $69.

Robert frequently asks me what I would do if we suddenly win millions of dollars, and I usually don't have much to say.

Well, now I have.

2 comments:

Mellissa said...

Words cannot express how much I covet that set of books. I mean really COVET, with a hot, ugly, burning desire.

jenn said...

Me too. It's crazy, but if I had that much money to spend right now, I'd willingly put it towards these five books. They're gorgeous. I want to own them. And I want to reread them. Elizabeth's reading the first one...