Thursday, December 27, 2007

Who gave birth at home recently?

Some names you might recognize:

Dave Matthews and wife

Dave Matthews and his wife, Ashley, kept the sex of their baby a surprise. Matthews said, "We'll keep the magic of our eyes being the witness." The baby, August Oliver, was born at home on June 19th.

Charlotte Church

Now 21 years old (not 12 as I always imagine), Charlotte Church gave birth to her daughter at home in a birthing pool on September 20th. Her boyfriend, Gavin, was present for the birth. Charlotte: "I was telling you I loved you, wasn't I? Saying 'I love you, but I can't do this!' You were brilliant, you kept saying, 'Just get through this one.'" Gavin: "I felt a bit weepy the other day because I looked at her, and she looked so lush and I thought about the birth and it was so perfect, so it was just with happiness..." She is co-sleeping with and breastfeeding her baby.

Ani DiFranco

Ani gave birth to her daughter at home on January 20th. Ani said, "Having her has brought me a lot of peace and joy and made me think about a lot of things that I didn’t before. Birth is the epicenter of women’s power."

AJ Langer

Allison Joy Langer (she played Rayanne on My So-Called Life) delivered her daughter at home in California on January 31st. She had a waterbirth with her husband in attendance.

Joely Fisher

Joely Fisher gave birth to her daughter at home in what she calls a "spectacular" experience. "But I decided to have her at home and had a lot of friends around and of course her father was there. And of course, the doctor, the doula, the midwife, the butcher, baker and candlestick maker."

Josie Maran

Model and cosmetics entrepreneur Josie Maran delivered her baby in her backyard. Very eco-conscious, she uses a hybrid cloth diaper with flushable inserts that biodegrade completely. Of her birth, she says, "I practice what I preach."

Lisa Bonet

Actress Lisa Bonet, now known as Lilakoi, gave birth to her daughter at home on July 21st. the baby's name is Lola Iolani Momoa. The middle name means royal hawk, and was chosen as there were hawks flying around [overhead] during the birth.

On this note, look into Ricki Lake's documentary, The Business of Being Born, coming to a city near you. On January 19th (an Saturday) it will be shown in Las Vegas and Sacramento.

If you are reading this, I expect you to be there.

No comments: