Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye, 2007!

Our year in review:

January 2007: A dark month, filled with cars breaking down and spiritual anguish. I briefly decide to move to Hawaii, but it doesn't materialize.

February 2007: Elizabeth turns 4! I attend my first VBAC as a doula -- an unmedicated one at that. And I suffer through my first sinus infection, which I did not recognize as such for almost ten miserable days.

March 2007: I officially drop out of my distance ed math class after receiving my first midterm score, which proved that the class was simply not working for me. I thought I understood it, but clearly, something was missing.

April 2007: I nearly hike the Subway.

May 2007: I attend a perfect birth. On our 8th wedding anniversary. And we have lots of family, cousins and siblings-in-law, in town.

June 2007: We go to the zoo. I see Pottercast live in Las Vegas, and attend my first wizard rock concert. I teach a childbirth ed series.

July 2007: Harry Potter frenzy at its peak, and I finish the final book in 15 hours. I start cello lessons! I teach myself to knit!

August 2007: My husband celebrates his birthday. I attend two more wizard concerts. We buy a top-of-the-line vacuum which we love and a new car which I love and am deeply grateful to have.

September 2007: My birthday ~ my favorite ever. I had Apple Jacks and apple pie and my husband decorated the house and it was just lovely. I get a new calling which I completely love. We visit family in California for a week. And Angela, my baby, turns 3.

October 2007: My dear friend takes me to a musical at Tuacahn and I'm blown away. I join my neighborhood book club and start reading at a fanatic pace. I devour the entire Twilight series in about 2 hours, along with three other books during the month. I set out on a quest to discover whether The Golden Compass is as evil as the emails claim.

November 2007: My brother-in-law gets married in what happens to be the wedding of the century, an event which profoundly changed my perspective on how I am living my life. We begin homeschooling our eldest daughter, which means that both children have school at home.

December 2007: My parents and sister visit me. I finish another childbirth ed series. I keep within my Christmas budget to the penny. I donate quilts and socialize. Angela poops on the potty. I vow to do the holidays differently next year. I get to the root of my deep and debilitating problems, finally, after years of work.

Overall, this year will be remembered by me as the year that put the permanent wrinkle between my eyebrows. It was a hard one for me and I don't think I'll miss the difficulty.

It has, however, put me in a mood to welcome 2008 with relief and the absolute trust that I am capable of living the life I should...

Happy new year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear that this past year was a tough one for you. I could say "look at the bright side, you have a beautiful family.." but this is not what really helps. (you DO have a beautiful family) But, what I will say is, you grow and learn from each experience, good and bad.
I am thrilled that you are going back to school, as long as it does not add to your stress in a bad way. Sometimes stress can be a good thing, as long as it does not lead to frustrations or anger.
I like the way you recapped your year, more of us should do that, it puts things in an understandable capsule.
This past year has been very confusing for me. With mom moving out here, it has caused me to become the adult and her the child. This is new territory for me. I wish the rest of my 'family' would come into the picture, but so far that is not happening and mom is depending on me more...
A strange thing happend with dad a couple of weeks ago. Karen told him one of their aunts had a stroke. He thought is was Aunt Joan (in Daly City) but it was Uncle Phills wife. Then he heard from Karen again, his Aunt Joan in Daly City passed away in her sleep. Dad was a little tweeked, since he originally thought it was her, was relieved it wasn't, then it was. He said this happens to him occassionally. I think he has a connection to the edges of the psychic world. Aunt Joan was Grandma's youngest sister. The last of the siblings.
I hope 2008 proves to be a better year, with more smiles and laughter, with love and happiness.
Love you
MOM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Cynthia said...

Love your blog! I wandered onto here... come see my blog: cynthiagough.blogspot.com I am about to put in a new post, with lots more pictures. I can't believe that Angela is three! But then I also can't believe I have a two year old and an 8 month old... How's doula life going? Any more Hypnobabies births? Maybe I'll join your doula world someday as a doula... I would love to keep in touch! -Cynthia Gough