Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Every interaction should make society better

Rob and I have had several conversations about economics. One principle that has stood out to me is the idea that all transactions are good if they benefit both parties, because they are making the entire society richer.

I think the same about interpersonal relations. If people come away from the interaction feeling good, it is a benefit to the society at large.

A couple of years ago I became involved in a scorching online blog debate. The other party was an accomplished but stubborn person who had a habit of dismissing those who didn't agree with her and not backing up her arguments. She got to be quite mean. The debate drew a crowd, but it seemed to feed her unpleasantness, and she never apologized nor made any concessions whatsoever. I withdrew rather than engage in what I finally realized was a pointless and one-sided debate.

I recently found this among her writings:
Conflict drives the comments section and makes the post “sticky.” People come back to see what nasty accusations others have flung at me this time and to see whether I tolerate the accusations or make the accuser look foolish. I give as good as I get, and people find that entertaining.
Am I alienating my audience? Certainly I am alienating some people, but, frankly, I’m amazed that people think I am being mean when I respond to ridiculous assertions and vile comments with demands to supply proof. One thing I know for sure, though, is that my audience increases.

And those nasty posts written about me? They are free advertising. I’m surprised that people don’t understand that. Every post written about me is not an insult, but is a small victory. It shows that what I write has hit the mark, has elicited strong feelings, has made people think. And of course every post written about me increases my readership.
Valid points, to be sure. I think that if your goal is to be read by lots of people, and you don't care about how you accomplish it, this is definitely one way to approach it.

But, thinking about how a good transaction benefits all involved, and realizing that the world is indeed short of kindness and warmth by a considerable amount, I have to object.

When coming up against this person, both parties are not edified. There's a good chance that one will leave the interaction angry, frustrated, and feeling unheard. Being provocative is not a status achieved without consequences. Making people feel is not the same as making them think.

It reminds me of this:
The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined.
~Margaret D. Nadauld
We need to set about making the world better by making our interactions with others positive. If both people come away from a discussion feeling good, they will likely spread that goodness through their interactions with others. The entire society benefits.

What happens when beneficial interactions don't occur? Positive feelings are drained from the world. Perhaps that's a little dramatic, but you see my point.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nearly by definition, voluntary interactions are undertaken by both parties because there is value for each party in the interaction. If one or the other parties perceives no value, that party will not enter into the interaction. Anyway, that's the idea from economics.

So, what value did you hope to capture by engaging in debate with this troll? Probably something like the knowledge that you had been helpful (to other readers)? Don't doubt that you were.

I also can't help but wonder what value it is for the troll to publicize her trollishness. I doubt she gains much from the 'free advertising'. It's probably just the closest thing to significance that she is able to obtain. She obviously doesn't feel that she has much to offer that people will value for itself.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! excellent post!
Love Karen the Aunt

Anonymous said...

It is too bad that some people have to measure their worth through negativity. They might think they are stimulating conversation and playing devil's advocate by presenting diverse comments, but they are just polluting the air with negative charges.
I'm with Karen on this. AMEN!!
MOM

Missy said...

I just have to say that I'm so grateful for people like you who are genuinely positive. It's so good to know that you will never try to tear me down in any way. Your only desire is to uplift and love, and that's why you are also so genuinely loved!