Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Doula training

I have done hard things before. Getting through labor and birth was tough. I wanted to give up many times, and in my second birth, if I had been able to speak, I just may have said something like this: "Anything...give me....anything....drugs....don't care...". Ah, Mother Nature has a plan for everything, doesn't she? I couldn't talk, and consequently I had a natural birth.

I don't regret that. Not for a minute. I am so pleased, so proud of myself, and deeply grateful to those who were there to help me through it.

It's a strange thing, to be in the middle of suffering, wanting nothing more than to be free from suffering. Then when it is over, you realize you could have gone on much longer, that you were really nowhere near your capacity to handle it.

I tell my three-year-old all the time "You are capable!" I have started telling the mirror that same thing, every morning. You are capable. You can do this.

I have given birth. Naturally. Twice. Surely I can handle being a stay-at-home mother.

What I teach mothers during labor as a doula can be used throughout motherhood:

  • How to relax.


  • If this isn't working, change positions/do something different.


  • Do not think ahead to the next contraction. What do you need to do right now?


  • Have a plan before labor begins; once it starts, it's too late to plan what you're going to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You CAN do this!! As you know, giving birth is a wonderful experience, and nothing can replace being with your children and experiencing their growth and changes. How I wish I had been able to stay at home with you and Jos. I was home for your first two years, but went back to work soon after Jos was born. I cried when Bomma told me about her first steps and her first words. Because of that, both dad and I descided I would be at home for as long as I could after you were born. That time at home was fantastic. It cannot be replaced. Josie thrived and you were such a joy!! When I did go back to work (in Oregon) I had to get you potty trained first, that was too much fun. You were so much like Elizabeth and Angela -- when you were ready and not before...
You CAN do this!! You might not see the rewards right now, but you will, trust me. The girls will be thrilled when they go to school, because of the friends they will make and the learning they will experience, but they are thrilled to have you home with them prividing the meaning of home, learning about life, stability and most of all love. I am so proud of you and Robert!!
I am so glad I was able to be there when the girls were born, you have no idea what it means to me (excuse me, tears are welling up..)I hope if Jos has children that you are her doula.
Much love to you!!
MOM

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Cynthia said...

HaHa, For me, I definitely can give birth naturally, I actually looked forward to it. But what can you give me now? Any motherhood drugs? For the whining, crying, pouting, no's, waking up too early for my liking..., diapers and more diapers...Elora: "I don wannit!" ...meaning the potty... But I guess i just have to do what you say... "I can do this! I am capable!" Or just go to my special place...