Monday, January 14, 2008

Mythical creatures


Upon request, I've spent a good portion of my weekend reading Twilight to my husband. While I'm a little nervous about whether or not this will spoil my indulgent female escape into vampire romance, it's been fun. A little unusual, maybe, but certainly entertaining.

The jokes are endless.

Here's what it's like:

I made my way to English in a daze. I didn't even realize when I first walked in that class has already started.

"Thank you for joining us, Miss Swan," Mr. Mason said in a disparaging tone.


And then there are the other jokes:

"And what are they?" I finally asked. "What are the cold ones?"

He smiled darkly.

"Blood drinkers," he replied in a chilling voice. "Your people call them...



...chupacabras."

"What are you thinking?" he asked curiously.

I looked up into his deep gold eyes, became befuddled, and, as usual, blurted out the truth.

"I'm trying to figure out what you are."

His jaw tightened, but he kept his smile in place with some effort.

"Ever heard of...chupacabras?"

"We're going to be hiking in the Goat Rocks Wilderness, just south of Rainier."

The chupacabra jokes are endless.

In my defense, I never, ever thought I would so thoroughly enjoy vampire fiction of any kind. Even with all the puns and chupacabra references, I'm having fun reading it out loud.

We're getting closer to the parts that make me blush...

More on Twilight later. I just can't write about why I love these books and about chupacabras in the same post.

No comments: