Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas day is here

So, what do you do in Southern Utah when it snows on Christmas day?

You go to Zion.

The kids in the car on the way:





What we saw there:





We decided to drive through the tunnel:



No one else was in there, so we stopped and took pictures of the windows:





It was very snowy, so we went back to the main valley.





Elizabeth took this picture:



And Angela took this one:



When I got the camera back, I took some more:





We got out of the car at the Temple of Sinawava, to play in the snow:





Can you see how deep it is?





I was determined to build my very first full-size snowman (or snowwoman -- I thought about having her carrying a snowchild), but when I was about two-thirds of the way into my project, we heard a loud

CRACK CRACK-CRACK

that made us stop and consider running as fast as we could. It was LOUD and scary. At the end of the Temple, where the river curves against a tall canyon wall, something dramatic happened. We don't know if rock was breaking loose and falling into the river, or an avalanche of snow and ice (mostly ice, by the sound of it) was starting and would bury us.

We heard more CRACKs and decided not to chance it. I took a quick picture of my unfinished, genderless snowperson, and we left.



Icicles on rocks:



Deer watched us depart:



I hope your Christmas is warm and wonderful.

2 comments:

kobabumga said...

It´s great. I have realized lately you´re adding daily a new post in your blog. Your girls are so cute, and you seem so happy taking them pictures and travelling with them. Lovely views on the snow.

Regards

Jessica said...

Those pictures are beautiful. Going to Zions- what a great idea. I'm glad you all got home safe and sound.