Monday, June 28, 2010

"The Forever Formula" Review

Book 13 of 20 for the Dystopian Challenge

Robert and I read this out loud, on his recommendation. He had read it when he was younger. Since it fit so well with my dystopian challenge, I'm counting it as part of my list.


This book was a bright little drop of campy fantasy in my relentlessly dark journey through the dystopian genre. I laughed many times at the utter cheesiness and predictability.

This is a book that takes place in a future where all cities are in giant domes and everyone runs around in jumpsuits. One of the main characters is Captain Tuggey, which made me laugh almost every time it came up.

It was also oddly dated, for a futuristic novel. Written in the 1970s, it included quotes that reflected the era it was written in: "What is this, Romper Room?" asks one character, and several references to aspic.

Overall, I thought it was delightful fun. Not very much tension (the bad guys are after a formula embedded in this other guy's brain -- will they get it??), but I can't complain about the ending, which didn't entirely wrap everything up nicely and neatly.

Out of print, but available really cheap on Amazon and occasionally at your local DI.

No comments: