Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pine Valley picnic

I got an assignment for yesterday: Take the kids on a picnic to one of my favorite places, and tour the 140-year-old chapel there that was built like an upside-down boat.

Um, ok. :)



I love Pine Valley.


It was 15 degrees cooler up there. 80 degrees and absolutely beautiful.

We set up our picnic


Eliz did not want to stop reading

Bananas were consumed



and a lovely Pink Lady apple (her favorite)



A large wasp chased us off from our table soon after, and so we packed up and walked around instead.

The water level was as high as I've ever seen it (there's usually quite a bit of space beneath that bridge)












Eliz found a fish (and yes, I was worried that she pointed at it with a library book--no harm came to it, though)

Angela on her favorite stump

Eliz on the stump

After the picnic, we visited the Pine Valley Chapel. We were the only ones on the tour, and it was fascinating. The man who built it only knew how to build boats, so he built it like a boat, upside down, with the curved bottom covered with a bit of triangular rooftop.

We got to go inside the very top and see the rafters, which was awesome...

...until a giant wasp landed on my hand. I shook it off and then it chased us. And so we left. Again.



l

Eliz wanted a picture by herself


and so Angela did too

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So fun! And gorgeous! I've been meaning to get up there, bc Chris talks about it a lot and I'm scared of the summer heat. Maybe we can go sometime, if you don't mind me making accommodations for the li'l guy.

Mellissa said...

I love that chapel, but I've never taken the tour! We're always in Pine Valley for some other reason and have never found the time. It has never occurred to me that a picnic and a tour are good enough reasons to make the drive. Silly me.