Friday, February 1, 2008

Five Years

Five years ago, on a peaceful Saturday, you, my first child, my daughter, were born.

Four more minutes and it would have been Sunday.


I remember how you looked around the room and already seemed to know who each person was, as if your time in the womb was spent studying voices and personalities, so that when you were born you were not surprised to see them. It made sense to you.

I remember how hard it was at first to take care of you, to understand what you needed. You were patient, introspective, and beautiful.


By 8 months you were walking. The first letter you knew was Q. You called balloons and fireworks by the same name ("Ball!!").
You stood in front of a mirror and said to yourself, "FWOG! - No, it's a fwog. FWOG! - No, it's a fwog..." You used to call anything you couldn't pronounce "ahi", and four different things were all called "armpit" by you (they were "blanket," "muffin," "ornament," and of course, "armpit").

You used to call yourself "Eddle-bess." Your sister was "Anchua."



You have always loved the outdoors. You have always been an artist.


You told jokes and made up puns as soon as you could speak. I remember you asked me what letter "pea" started with and then laughed when I told you. Then you asked again. And you laughed. And asked again.


At four you taught yourself to read. We stood by and watched, suddenly realizing that our goal of teaching you to read by the end of summer was not ambitious enough. A few weeks after we sat down with you and some books, you were reading to us. We have never been able to keep up with you.

I have always thought of 5 as a HUGE DEAL, and it is. I am so happy to have you in my family. I am so happy you were the first to come to me. I get to raise you and watch you grow. You are precious and I'm so glad I get to take this journey with you. The blank truth is that, no matter how old you get, you will always be my baby.



But you seem much more than 5 years old. You are Elizabeth.


Yes, today means a lot. I want to make today special for you, as much as I can. I want you to realize how deeply you are loved.

Today I celebrate the day you came to us. My world is better, Elizabeth, because you are here. Happy birthday, my love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Elizabeth is an amazing person. We are so thrilled that when we participated in her birth and that we are part of her circle. Words cannot describe how much we love her. Elizabeth has been so much fun to be around. I remember when she was in the back seat of my car and telling jokes, even tho' she was not speaking english. She was jabbering away and then laugh. I asked her if she was telling jokes, and she just smiled and laughed, which made me laugh. She and I were laughing down the road. What a joy!!
Give her a big hug and kiss for us, and we will do the same when we see you.
Love you!!
MOM

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, sweeteart. And so right.
Our baby is the joy of my life.
-Daddy