Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Big River at Tuacahn

I didn't know very much about Big River, the Huckleberry Finn musical, that was introduced during the fall run at Tuacahn. Earlier this year I read the Mark Twain book for the first time and I didn't care too much for it -- it was boyish and episodic. So I went into Big River last night as a big skeptic.

My expectations were exceeded, so much so that I nurse a biting regret that it took me so long to see this show. We have less than two weeks until the close of the 2008 season; Big River closes on October 17th. I wish I'd seen it sooner, so that I could recommend it to everyone, and see it again myself.

Kevin Milnes' Huck Finn is energetic and optimistic, and absolutely endearing. The score is fantastic: a mix of Americana, gospel, country, and bluegrass. The plot has more heart than the book I remember, and it's more poignant and relevant. It is epic, without even trying, without being overblown.

But the very best things are:
  • Jay Pierce, who plays Jim, is nothing short of phenomenal. This man is a fierce actor, but he is also an amazing vocalist. When he sings, I cannot even breathe, because his voice is so enthralling. This man's talent is truly transcendent.

  • The river. The Tuacahn stage was built to be flooded, and they create a river onstage that is breathtaking. The water comes down in a series of drops from the hills behind, then courses out onto the stage towards the audience. It is a rushing constant stream, several inches deep at its peak, and it is a stunning sight.
My very favorite moment in all of theatre is here, during the song "Muddy Water," a duet with Huck Finn and Jim, sung on a raft, when the river water makes its appearance. I don't know how they guided the raft, but it was flawless and simply astonishing. The two strong male voices, mixed with the gush of running water, is thrilling. There is no other place this could be duplicated.

If you want to hear Jay Pierce's magnificent voice, here is a clip of him singing with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra:



If you're in the St. George area, or will be in the next ten days, GO to Big River.

2 comments:

Linds said...

I couldn't agree more!!! We went to see this last night and LOVED it! Jay Pierce's voice was incredible, as was the other woman who sang a few gospel numbers (don't know her name!) And my favorite moment is the same as yours... it was so amazing! I've never seen anything like that on stage before and it was awesome. ps. when shall we get together? :)

Jessica said...

Wow- my curiosity is piqued. We might just go tosee it.